Sedatives: What You Need to Know
Sedatives are prescription medication that slows down your brain activity and excitement. They are intended to make you feel more relaxed and comfortable. Sedatives have been prescribed by doctors to treat conditions like anxiety and sleep disorders especially insomnia for decades and many use them as general anesthetics as well. Millions of people in Australia, the US, Germany, Austria, and elsewhere consume sedatives daily.
Remember, sedatives are controlled substances and can be highly addictive. One should be careful in using these drugs as they may cause individuals to become dependent on them beyond their control. Use them in amounts prescribed by a doctor.
Side Effects of Sedatives
Sedatives can induce both short- and long-term side effects – if not used cautiously.
Taking sedatives in high dosage or mixing with other substances can lead to:
- blurred vision
- slower breathing,
- slurring your words,
- impaired reflexes, perception, and cognition.
Using sedatives for longer periods can induce mental health conditions, such as:
- frequent thoughts of physical harm to yourself or suicide,
- dependency and acute addiction.
Visit here to know about jack rabbit kush
Signs of Dependency
The use of a heavy dosage of sedatives for longer periods can lead to dependency. In such a condition, your brain is reliant on this drug and you find yourself consuming it regularly. As a result, you may try to go beyond the prescribed dosage and start taking in large amounts and can’t stop taking them.
Dependency is also evident if you are having the same effect from a higher dose. It shows your body has become used to the drug and wants more to achieve the desired effect.
Dependency on sedatives is even more profound if you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking the drug. Withdrawal symptoms vary significantly from person to person depending on their history of drug use and accompanied by uncomfortable and painful physical and mental symptoms.
Some conspicuous withdrawal symptoms of Sedatives include:
- increased anxiety
- inability to sleep
- you may become sick
- Sleeping issues
That is why never stop taking sedatives at once. The best way is to gradually reduce the dosage and get rid of it in a couple of weeks or so.
Taking the Sedatives even in small quantities can lead to negative health conditions. You have to be extra careful while consuming prescription sedatives.
- Start with a low dose and try to maintain it.
- Avoid consuming Sedatives for more than a month as it may cause withdrawal symptoms.
- Never mix this drug with other medicines having the same depressant effects. Doing so may lead to drowsiness and other harmful side effects.
- Avoid mixing sedatives with alcohol or smoking marijuana while consuming sedatives may lead to severe and life-threatening symptoms like loss of consciousness or stopping breathing.
- Children and pregnant women should not use sedatives without the guidance of a doctor.
To conclude, taking the sedatives in the right amounts can help in treating anxiety and insomnia. You should be aware of its harmful side effects and follow the prescriptions of a doctor to avoid any potential sickness or withdrawal symptoms.